- 69 vineyard acres (28 hectares) of vinifera grapes planted.
- There are approximately 45 wineries located within the greater Puget Sound region.
- The temperate climate rarely suffers from prolonged freezes in winter and enjoys long mild and dry summers.
- The core area of this appellation has a growing season that is drier and sunnier than many classic wine grape growing regions in Europe.
- Semi-permeable cemented subsoil allows the deep-rooted vinifera vines to survive the late summer soil water deficit.
- Precipitation averages 15 inches (38cm) to 30 inches per year, mostly falling in the winter dormant season, with a growing season of over 180 days.
- Madeleine Angevine, Siegerebbe and Muller-Thurgau are the predominant varietals.
- Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir also show promise in this appellation.
Wine Bottle Wine bottle. /_assets/73ab6c42374843d8f28bbb1d55676174/(membergallery)_wine_bottle.jpg Wine Barrels Wine barrels. /_assets/5196126592e9b5b6cf924e37d071373f/(membergallery)_wine_barrels.jpg Vineyard Lane Vineyard lane /_assets/ffe45709ee5208c486984f5ece7a6ce6/(membergallery)_vineyard_lane.jpg View of the Seattle Skyline View of the Seattle skyline. /_assets/289968b1ccc4d8ef376192bc30bbc035/(membergallery)_skyline_2.jpg Seattle Skyline Seattle skyline. /_assets/dff5e8678656da9d2953530ac3b43c2b/(membergallery)_seattle_skyline.jpg Puget Sound Vineyard Tree Puget Sound vineyard tree. /_assets/b2e9aa60cfce27a518dffbfca4cc9555/(membergallery)_vineyard_tree.jpg Puget Sound Vineyard Post Puget Sound vineyard post. /_assets/98b01f9ac476f35edcfd5451a60d764b/(membergallery)_vineyard_post.jpg Puget Sound Ferries Puget Sound ferries. /_assets/d11484d8fd8d1cad941d673338fd9868/(membergallery)_ferries.jpg Barn with Pond Barn with pond. /_assets/e7dfb0d54707558f9c71f5f64ae05a9f/(membergallery)_farm_pond.jpg
WASHINGTON WINE 101: