Each year, a select group of the country's most influential trade come to Washington State and immerse themselves in wine country with those who live and work there. Road Trip travels from Seattle to Walla Walla and features small group exercises in the vineyards and wineries, focused seminars, regional tastings, dining experiences and some serious fun with the leaders of our industry. The best part? This all happens during the most exciting time of the year – HARVEST.
Road Trip Washington Wine
Road Trip Includes
- The “typicity” of Washington’s different regions
- Trial samples of different barrel samples
- Oak vs. non-oak
- Fermentation / different yeasts / fermentation temps
- Grapes: What do we grow? What ripens when?
- Varying vinification methods to achieve stylistic differences
- Cap management / phenolic optimization
- Punch downs (manual or mechanical) / pump overs
- Aeration techniques
- Fermentation – speed, temperature, yeast, vessel size, maceration
- Irrigation needs
- Pressing: free-run vs. press juice
- Blending of vineyards / AVAs / varieties in a given vintage
- Canopy management
- What does oak do to wine? Toast levels, country/forest, size, cooper, age, etc.
- Time in oak – how long do different wines stay in and why?
- Barrel hygiene - cleaning barrels via pressure washing, ozone, proxy clean, S02 application
- Fruit assessment / berry weight / cluster weight / skin thickness
- Phenolic maturity ripeness - when to pick and clonal differences
- Tasting of grapes from different clones / blocks / aspects in vineyards
- Sustainability in grape growing
- Yield management
“The organization and execution of the trip for 50 people was an 11 on a 10 scale in my opinion. I've been on probably 8-10 wine trips in the past and this one had the most amazing staff I have ever seen... It is a team of absolute all-star caliber people on all levels. The Road Trip really opened my eyes to the depth of talent in Washington State. I learned there are more amazing winemakers, regions and vineyard sites producing wines at an incredible level that I was not aware of."Ryan Gerni, 2019Davidsons Liquors, Highlands Ranch, CO
"The quality is second to none. This was a trip of a lifetime; every detail was done with proud care and gave a 360-degree view of the industry. We had fun, we learned, we laughed, but a true craftsmanship of a journey. Road trip is one of the best events in the wine business anywhere."Chris McFall, 2019Lazy Bear, San Francisco, CA
“It was the perfect blend of education, vineyard experiences, wine tasting and youthful mayhem. JUst yesterday, I asked one of my new vendors, "What no Washington State Wines?" I told him that I was disappointed as I'm hosting a grand tasting in my store and adjoining restaurant and have added Washington State wines to the list."Joe Printz, 2019The Grape D'Vine Wine & Spirits, Sparkill, NY
“This trip was not only well organized, but it was kept real and grounded. WA commission staff made us feel welcomed and met ALL of our needs and more. WA wine community has a great story to tell our teams and guests. I am putting together an education plan to implement through the next 12 months where we will promote WA wine."Maritza Haller, 2019High Flying Foods, Sausalito, CA
"I can't brag about the wines enough. I loved the way you were able to hype the energy level when needed and then you let us relax a bit. It was the trip of a lifetime and I truly look forward to continuing the relationships that were built through this experience.”Elissa Tedesco, 2019Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, Harrisburg, PA