Washington State Wine Road Trip
Each year, a select group of the country's most influential trade come to Washington State and immerse themselves in wine country with those who live and work there. Road Trip travels from Seattle to Walla Walla and features small group exercises in the vineyards and wineries, focused seminars, regional tastings, dining experiences and some serious fun with the leaders of our industry. The best part? This all happens during the most exciting time of the year – HARVEST.
Road Trip Includes
- The “typicity” of Washington’s different regions
- Trial samples of different barrel samples
- Oak vs. non-oak
- Fermentation / different yeasts / fermentation temps
- Grapes: What do we grow? What ripens when?
- Varying vinification methods to achieve stylistic differences
- Cap management / phenolic optimization
- Punch downs (manual or mechanical) / pump overs
- Aeration techniques
- Fermentation – speed, temperature, yeast, vessel size, maceration
- Irrigation needs
- Pressing: free-run vs. press juice
- Blending of vineyards / AVAs / varieties in a given vintage
- Canopy management
- What does oak do to wine? Toast levels, country/forest, size, cooper, age, etc.
- Time in oak – how long do different wines stay in and why?
- Barrel hygiene - cleaning barrels via pressure washing, ozone, proxy clean, S02 application
- Fruit assessment / berry weight / cluster weight / skin thickness
- Phenolic maturity ripeness - when to pick and clonal differences
- Tasting of grapes from different clones / blocks / aspects in vineyards
- Sustainability in grape growing
- Yield management
“This was one of the most organized, fun, detail oriented, educational and upbeat wine trips that I have been on - and I’ve been on about seven. I cannot say enough good things about this experience. I am very blessed and fortunate to have been given this opportunity. I feel that this trip has better equipped me as an ambassador/advocate for Washington state wines… Many, many, many thanks. Everyone was wonderful and accommodating. I am so very thankful for a wonderful experience.”Wanda Cole-Nicholson, 2015Salpicón, Chicago, IL
“I've been on several tours during my 23 years in the business. This was one of the best-organized events I've had the pleasure to attend… Excellent tour, good group of staff and I'm glad I had a chance to finally meet all of them. You can count on our continued support going forward!”Robert Cavanaugh, 2015Adventure Wines, Gaithersburg, MD
“I have attended many wine related buying trips. Road Trip was by far one of the best in terms of organization, energy and vineyard participation, and I enjoyed the pace of the trip. Though very busy, nothing ran on too long, which helps during long days. I TRULY appreciated the diligence of the crew and vineyards to keep everyone on time!”Sally Campa, 2015Vino Volo, Richmond, BC
“Thank you so much for this amazing experience. You truly made me feel so welcome and appreciated. I have a whole new way of thinking about Washington wines!”Ann Marie Delaney, 2008Harbour Lights / Rosie O'Grady's, New York, NY